06 May 2011

Surfing on Cloud California

Sand-covered Rainbows (the flip flops) and breaths of ocean air with the beach as a consistent backdrop, rock concerts down the street, photo shoots, al fresco brunching, too many farmers' markets to choose from (fyi, local readers: the one at the OC Fairgrounds has the best farm-fresh, brown eggs anywhere and food truck Thursdays!), Cinco de Mayo celebrations and a multitude of monthly birthday events - this is my life in the now world-famous OC. Actually, this is an accurate description of my schedule last week. Yes, most of the time I have to take a step back and pinch myself and wonder how the heck I made my home in this desirable destination; Southern California can be like living on Cloud 9 . . . but sometimes it can all add up to too much stimulation for this OCDite. I'm like my cat Ice who becomes over stimulated by too much attention and runs under the bed. Mine is a similar reaction, but obviously a different escape route.

As I was enjoying my frothy espresso and spinach quichette with a friend at breakfast a couple days ago, I blurted out, "if I don't get a pair of wide-leg Chloe pants, I might die." We were flipping through the latest issue of Riviera Magazine and having our usual fashion discussion, but I surprised my friend and myself with the seriousness of my statement. When did I reach the point of desiring $750 pants?! I am definitely becoming a product of Californication. I am just surrounded by too many beautiful things, and now as a "starving artist," I can't afford those kinds of wishes but the temptation is unavoidable with Hollywood right around the corner.

Out on assignments for the magazine, I feel like I'm entering another dimension of local life. I carry a leather journal depicting a vintage Orange County emblem on the outside and map on the inside for jotting down my serendipitous occurrences. I meet people who have become success stories in their fields. I meet people who have reached a place in their career where they can confidently portray contentment, and everything they do is important. I taste fantastic food, shake hands with notable neighbors and observe beautiful photo shoots. How can I not be mesmerized, intimidated and inspired by my environment? 

My book of musings

As an OCDite, it is nearly impossible to restrain myself from fulfilling what can become a physical desire to be the best. My goal is to reach the same reputation with my writing in this county as I have with my sparkling marble floors! It's like everything else, when we OCDites get something brewing in our brains, we have to take some course of action to settle the steam. For me, I either have to harbor in my house for days or produce a packed schedule of daily duties to fill my time and appease my urges. As long as I have projects with which to focus my compulsive behavior, I should remain on the semi-sane side and credit-card-debt free. So that's what I do, I schedule my life, which is becoming more fulfilling everyday.

Tip for Soothing compulsions and sharpening your energy: find a place to release and remain in control, because the powers of obsession should not be stifled.

Remaining in control: In the past few years, it has even become necessary for me, as on OCDite, to calendar my life. I commit to everything, because I don't want to miss out on any chance encounter of life's little inspirations, so I'm constantly calendaring. I calendar your average events like birthdays and dental appointments and dinners, but I also calendar things like "weed my garden" and "get oj light bulbs apples big Fijis and kitty food." (This is a direct appointment pulled from my Google calendar on April 27, and I know my friend Ali is laughing her ass off right now, because she had access to my calendar when we worked together. It's ok - I've come to terms with it.) Is it because I'm getting older and can't remember all of these random obligations? Is it because I try to experience too much - nope, it's because I'm an OCDite. Does anyone else do this? I'd love to hear that this might not be another obsession unique to just me.

Find a place to release: So where do I go to get away from the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous? Sometimes I just want to lose myself - only for a moment - in a crowd - particularly the pulsing crowd of a concert, which is what I did last week when I joined a friend at the Hollywood Music Box to see Airborne Toxic Event perform. This release was long overdue.


Airborne Toxic Event from the balcony at the Music Box in Hollywood, April 28, 2011

 This is my escape route, the kind of stimulation that soothes my soul so that I can return to my life in the surf and sun. Who, where or what relieves your erratic behavior?

1 comment:

  1. New follow from the OCbloggers Facebook Page. Great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete