20 March 2011

My Permanent Playlist

An Ode to the 90s ~

I can't remember a time when I didn't think so intensely about the world around me. My Mom reminds me that before I was old enough to recall or old enough to be capable of doing so, I would throw fits of rage if I colored outside the lines that brought Kermit the Frog or Rainbow Brite to life in my coloring books. I remember spending hours combing Rocker and Western Fun Barbies' hair and wondering why my Mom couldn't make my ponytail perfect, too!

When I was 6 or 7, my brother sliced his foot open on a bull horn behind our farm. I attempted to be calm as I left him holding his bleeding foot, but as I pedaled my bike as fast as Strawbery Shortcake would take me to get help from Grandma, I think I had my first experience with the severe anxiety that OCD can harvest. I envisioned conclusions to that incident that were completely unrealistic (thankfully, he didn't even need stitches), but I couldn't get the thoughts to leave my head until I knew he was okay.

As I blossomed into the awkward stage that is junior high, my teachers, family and friends called me a perfectionist, and I proudly accepted the compliment and still do. I had the most systematic Trapper Keeper in school, color-coded by class subject and highlighted by my Nelson Twins folder (remember their song"(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"-it's okay to admit you're singing it out loud to yourself right now, because it was a great song). Shopping for school supplies, for me, was like winning the lottery. I couldn't wait to fill my backpack with the tools that would organize my education. 

While I reached this floundering age of double digits, I began to become acutely aware that this wasn't how everyone else walked the world. Discovering my disorder upon entering the 90s made it a decade that I will forever and permanently identify as my decade of discovery.

So, as an Ode to the decade of the 90s; an Ode to my favorite 90s show My So-Called Life for which my blog title was inspired (Angela Chase - played by Claire Danes - thank you for making quirky cool!); and an Ode to the music of the 90s, because the power of music was unveiled to me in this decade as a space to recharge and evolve, I am sharing with you 25 songs from my 90s Playlist. I encourage my fellow OCDites to be inspired by this post - ponder the first memories you had of your disorder, and create your own playlists for those times when you need a moment.

Music brings my mind quiet moments. Just looking at this old
pic of a dear friend and me at a music festival produces pure zen.

The songs that brought me solace and serenity then and now (in alphabetical order, of course):

  1. Afghan Whigs "Crazy"
  2. Better Than Ezra "Good"
  3. Big Head Todd and the Monsters "Bittersweet"
  4. Blind Melon "No Rain"
  5. Bush "Glycerine"
  6. Collective Soul "The World I Know"
  7. Concrete Blonde "Joey"
  8. The Cranberries "Linger"
  9. The Crash Test Dummies "God Shuffled His Feet"
  10. Depeche Mode "Enjoy the Silence"
  11. Enigma "Sadeness (Part I)"
  12. Green Day "When I Come Around"
  13. Mazzy Star "Fade Into You"
  14. Morphine "Buena"
  15. Nine Inch Nails "Closer"
  16. The Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money in My Hand"
  17. Radiohead "Creep"
  18. The Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonaise"
  19. Spacehog "In the Meantime"
  20. Temple of the Dog "Hunger Strike"
  21. Toad the Wet Sprocket "Crazy Life"
  22. The Toadies "Possum Kingdom"
  23. Tori Amos "Cornflake Girl"
  24. Veruca Salt "Shutterbug"
  25. Weezer "The Good Life"

4 comments:

  1. Great list, I’m sure a lot of thought went into. I love an individual’s interpretation of top ten, or greatest of all time lists. I must say, when the list shows come on VH1, I’m like a deer in the headlights and talk smack as the results are reveled. “WTF, “Come on Eileen” is not the greatest one-hit-wonder song of all time, it’s gotta be Kajagoogoo’s “Too Shy.” So my take on your list is this. I agree with 10 of your 25 for no other reason than these particular songs were the soundtrack in the movie of my life in the 90s. Oh yea, here’s my smack talk for your list. A 90s list without any Garbage, Blur, Oasis, New Order, Everclear or The Jesus & Mary Chain is garbage.

    -KEEP THESE 10-
    Afghan Whigs "Crazy"
    Blind Melon "No Rain"
    Bush "Glycerine"
    Concrete Blonde "Joey"
    The Cranberries "Linger"
    Enigma "Sadeness (Part I)"
    Mazzy Star "Fade Into You"
    Nine Inch Nails "Closer"
    The Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money in My Hand"
    Radiohead "Creep"
    The Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonaise"

    -REPLACE WITH THESE 15-
    Sexuality “Billy Bragg”
    Sheriff Fatman "Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine"
    Euro-Trash Girl "Cracker"
    Tangled Up in You "Gene Loves Jezebel"
    Laid "James"
    Head On "The Jesus & Mary Chain"
    All I Want "The Lightning Seeds"
    Here's Where the Story Ends "The Sundays"
    Regret "New Order"
    Girls and Boys "Blur"
    Wonderwall "Oasis"
    I Think I'm Paranoid "Garbage"
    Runaway Train "Soul Asylum"
    Unemployed Boyfriend "Everclear"
    What I Got "Sublime"

    ReplyDelete
  2. smashing pumkins - gish, i am one, crazy, my daydreams

    NIN- head like a hole / i was up above it

    no hip-hop....?

    no RED-HOT CHILLI-PEPPERS

    no JANE'S ADDICTION...

    no STP, alice in chains, sound garden?

    where were you guys...?

    practice.

    more, practice..

    booo!

    very, boooooooo!

    ( just kidding )

    but, really !


    lollapalooza - irvin / irwindale

    danny jones - facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, where is Jewel in all of this? You introduced me to her in 1998 with "Hands" - It kind of reminds me of what you share with us on your blog...
    "If I could tell the world just one thing
    It would be that we're all OK
    And not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful
    And useless in times like these
    I won't be made useless
    I won't be idle with despair
    I will gather myself around my faith
    For light does the darkness most fear"
    Keep up the great writing and inspiring us with your insights.

    ReplyDelete