30 March 2011

'Tis the Season to Cleanse!

Is it that time already? Is the season of renewal and purification already upon us? Yes, folks, I was reminded by a recent writing assignment on this very subject, that time of year which propels us OCDites into panic - Spring Cleaning is here!

Where does an OCDite begin when presented with about as daunting a task as can be imagined? All of us are particular in the act of tackling the spring transformation, but some of us feel the need to perform each task with a sense of perfection which leads to either: 1) having floors that sparkle every day of the week (that's me!); or, 2) avoiding the task altogether because it's just too exhausting (which are my fellow OCDites who have those closets for which you can't open the door, because wrapping paper, Christmas decorations and Halloween costumes will all come tumbling out!) Whichever version of OCD you are, Spring Cleaning is necessary nourishment for our disorder. We have to wipe away the messes, so we can focus on fresh starts. With this post, I hope to help you through this annual dilemma with my past frustrations and a couple of tips, because I am the Queen of Clean. Have you been to my house lately? Impressive, if I do say so myself.

So, before I begin, there is one thing I have to admit: I hired someone about 6 years ago who cleans my house every 2 weeks. Now, before retracting the admiration you felt from the thought of my daily sparkling floors, I have to make it clear that I do clean . . . everyday - that's what many of us OCDites live to do. For some of us, it can even be relaxing. But, allow me to explain the severity with which I scrub and sterilize every surface in my house, starting with a picture of my weapons for combating chaos.


Figure 1: My dedicated Cleaning Cabinet

The thing is with us OCDites, the job has to be done flawlessly. When we clean a toilet, we do not forget the tiny cracks beneath the toilet seat hinges or the knobs around the base (I have been known to even take the toilet seat off with a screwdriver to clean); we clean that toilet until you could literally have a cocktail party on it. Has anyone ever seen that episode of Cougar Town where Courtney Cox actually hosts cocktail parties in her new sparkling bathroom?! Well, I could certainly relate and watched with wonder.

Upon recognizing my cleaning fixation and after forfeiting too much fun in my 20s (I spent entire weekends disinfecting my house instead of accepting invitations to go shopping, the beach or happy hours),  Flora was sent to me like an angel from . . . wherever you believe your angels to come from . . . and I was finally introduced to the idea of cleansing myself of cleaning!! That's right, I provide you with Tip #1 to Cleanse yourself from Cleaning. Or at least cut down on the time you currently spend cleaning. Handing over the reins of removing dirt and dust from my life was difficult, but it was also a relief. The presence of Flora's magic every other week makes life more manageable. We OCDites live with 5,000 other daily compulsions, so don't be afraid to release some of the responsibility of keeping a fresh space to the "other cleaning professionals."

So, now turning your attention back to Spring Cleaning - organization with its own season! Now that you you've delegated the dirt, you can focus your neurotic needs on coordinating the clutter before summer.

Tip #2: I try to trick myself into making it fun by visualizing the end result with my items displayed in all of the glory they deserve. The best part about organizing is it is one of those acts that anyone can do, and it provides instant gratification. By using containers, bins and other storage items that are also stimulating to the senses, organizing can be enjoyable. The Container Store's Fabric Storage Boxes are amazing!


Figure 2: My Shoe and Handbag Closet ~
It's a vision of beauty.

Tip #3: Lay out a realistic schedule for the entire month of April. As determined as you are to organize the contents of the garage in one day, it's just not going to happen, and you'll be frustrated when it doesn't. So, plan one item to conquer each weekend during the month of April and the thought of Spring Cleaning may not feel so daunting.

Tip #4: Give things away! If you haven't worn, used or played it within the last year (unless it holds significant sentimental value), give it to someone who will!

And finally, I'd like to share a few cleaning product pleasers that I will never live without again.
  • William Sonoma's French Lavender Countertop Spray: with essential oils, this surface cleaner soothes your senses like a spa, but really, you're spraying today's crumbs off the countertops!
  • Fabuloso: What makes my floors sparkle? Fabuloso! A miracle worker introduced to me by Flora, this all-purpose cleaner cleanses everything from floors to windows and also has a light lavender scent!
  • Distilled white vinegar: A product you're sure to already have in your pantry, I mix this item with water and use it to Swiffer my wood floors and disinfect my wool rugs!
Spring has sprung, but don't let it spring you into a cleaning frenzy. Envision the immaculate and tranquil space you will transform for yourself and your loved ones. And please comment with cleaning product suggestions and share your own stories. Let's help each other avoid further fiascos and get through this season together!

Happy Cleansing!

4 comments:

  1. Help, I’m I OCD?

    I certainly don’t consider myself OCD, but have been told that I have a few traits. What is your professional opinion?

    I vacuum every day
    I dust twice a week
    I never leave dirty dishes in the sink
    I have all my music and DVDs catalogued
    I deleted my junk mail twice a day
    Unread email drives me crazy
    My closet is color coordinated
    I wipe the shower down every day
    I clean the kitchen every day
    I don’t touch the doors in public restrooms
    I stack all my silverware
    When I pray or meditate I always count to 8 when I’m done
    I am obsessed with order
    I am allergic to chaos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the "'Tis the Season to Cleanse!" post. It has definitely inspired me to tackle those bigger projects that need to be cleaned and organized! I found Tip #3 extremely helpful and am starting my spring-cleaning calendar (hopefully, I can stick to it!). Thank you for the inspiration and the product suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous. I'm the OCDite that is only steps away from being the cat lady with narrow passageways between the piles. If you watched last night's episode of House, I'm not to the point of saving earwax yet, but it's getting bad! I am frozen by the need for perfection and I start a project and dig so deep that I get exhausted before I'm done and have more of a mess than when I started. I only wish I could figure out how to upload a photo to you, but I'd probably be brought up on attempted homicide for giving you a stroke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people even live in places that create an OCD personality because it's so small that if they even leave a coffee mug out after the morning news, it's in there way! This is me...I just moved into my first "my own space" situation upon scoring this sweet studio right by the beach in North County San Diego. It's the best feeling, and I've been known to fall asleep smiling and wake up doing the same when I realize that it's just me and my four legged boyfriend Wahoo (pup). This freedom, while it's great, might also cause me to exacerbate my OCD qualities to organize, have a space for even paperclips, and just freak out if someone comes in an ruins my small space 'keep it clean, or keep out frenzy'. Anyway, looking forward to finding out through my own way if this will put some perspective on whether I'll never be able to live with another human again, or if it helps...!?

    Loving your blog - keep it up KD

    xo Care

    ReplyDelete